Security Clearance Help

Home The Basics Information About Us Contact Us

Contact Kenneth Roberts, Esq. for a free Security Clearance Law consultation

(702) 388-1216


Although you may obtain a clearance or may be assigned to a sensitive position or position or trust, the initial adjudicative decision can be overturned at a later date if you concealed relevant information during the investigation or after the clearance was issued.

Employees who occupy positions of trust and handle sensitive information are expected to report changes or incidents that may impact their clearances. The Adjudicative Guidelines can be a valuable tool in determining if a life-event or situation might result in a need to report.

Self-reporting, while mandatory, emphasizes personal integrity and is preferable to the incident or change being discovered and reported by others.

The following are some examples of incidents and life events where reporting certain changes is expected or may be appropriate.

Change in Personal Status - Marital status (marriage, divorce), cohabitation (living in spouse-like relationship, intimate relationship, or becoming engaged), change of name

Foreign Travel A security briefing before any foreign travel, whether for personal or business reasons, clearance for travel to hazardous countries for Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI)-cleared individuals

Foreign Contacts Contact with individuals of any foreign nationality, either within or outside the scope of your official duties, in which illegal or unauthorized access to classified or otherwise sensitive information is sought, personal concern that you are a target of an attempted exploitation, all close and continuing relationships between SCI-cleared individuals and foreign nations

Loss or Compromise of Information Inadvertent or accidental loss or compromise of classified or other sensitive information because the first priority in such a situation is to regain control of the classified material

Financial Problems Filing for bankruptcy, garnishment of wages, having a lien placed on your property for failing to pay a creditor, eviction from a residence for failure to pay rent, or simply your inability to meet all your financial obligations

Arrests Any arrest, regardless of whether or not charges were filed, other involvement with the legal system (such as being sued), any circumstance where you were sworn under oath to testify about your association or involvement in questionable activities

Psychological or Substance Abuse Counseling When counseling is needed, you are encouraged to seek assistance from your employer-sponsored Employee Assistance Program (EAP) or other counseling service. Counseling for certain situations need not be reported if you sought the counseling on your own initiative to help you cope. Counseling must be reported if you were advised to seek counseling because of work performance or other undesirable behavior

If you were denied a security clearance, contact Kenneth M. Roberts, Esq., Lt. Col., USAF (Ret.) at (702) 388-1216 for a free consultation.  

Dempsey, Roberts & Smith, Ltd.
1130 Wigwam Parkway
Henderson, Nevada 89074

Read This Important Disclaimer

Since the adjudication of a security clearance denial is based on federal law and guidelines, a Security Clearance Lawyer can help you if you're located in any state:

Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New+Hampshire | New+Jersey | New+Mexico | New+York | North+Carolina | North+Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode+Island | South+Carolina | South+Dakota | Tennessee | Texas+Defense+Attorneys | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | Washington+DC | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming

Kenneth M. Roberts, Esq., a Security Clearance Attorney, may be able to assist you if you received a security clearance denial or want to appeal a decision regardless of which city you live in:

Phoenix Los Angeles Tucson Palm Springs Sacramento San Diego San Francisco San Jose Denver Jacksonville Miami Orlando Tampa Atlanta Chicago Indianapolis Kansas City Louisville New Orleans Boston Baltimore Detroit Grand Rapids Minneapolis Charlotte Raleigh Omaha Atlantic City Las Vegas Reno Buffalo New York City Cincinnati Cleveland Toledo Tulsa Portland Philadelphia Pittsburgh Myrtle Beach Memphis Nashville Austin Dallas Houston San Antonio Salt Lake City Richmond Seattle Spokane

If you experience unusual problems with this site or discover dead links, please email the webmaster. Thank you.  

Copyright: Dempsey, Roberts & Smith, Ltd., 2009.